An iterative method for solving nonlinear least squares problems with nondifferentiable operator
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Lviv, Ukraine; KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
An iterative differential-difference method for solving nonlinear least squares problems is proposed and studied. The method uses the sum of the derivative of the differentiable part of the operator and the divided difference of the nondifferentiable part instead of computing Jacobian. We prove the local convergence of the proposed method and compute its convergence rate. Finally, we carry out numerical experiments on a set of test problems.
nonlinear least squares problem; differential-difference method; divided differences; radius of convergence; residual; error estimates
1. Argyros I.K., Convergence and Applications of Newton-type Iterations Springer-Verlag, New York, 2008.
2. Argyros I.K., Ren H., A derivative free iterative method for solving least squares problems, Numerical Algorithms, 58 (2011), 555-571.
3. Catinas E., On some iterative methods for solving nonlinear equations, Revue dAnalyse Numerique et de Theorie de lApproximation, 23 (1994), 47-53.
4. Dennis J.E., Schnabel R.B., Numerical Methods for Unconstrained Optimization and Nonlinear Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1996.
5. Iakymchuk R.P., Shakhno S.M., Yarmola H.P., Convergence analysis of a two-step modification of the Gauss-Newton method and its Applications, Journal of Numerical and Applied Mathematics, 3 (2017), ¹126, 61-74.
6. Li C., Zhang W., Jin X., Convergence and Uniqueness Properties of Gauss-Newtons Method, Comput. Math. Appl., 47 (2004), 1057-1067.
7. Ortega J.M., Rheinboldt W.C., Iterative Solution of Nonlinear Equations in Several Variables, Academic Press, Stateplace, New York, 1970.
8. Ren H., Argyros I.K., Local convergence of a secant type method for solving least squares problems, AMC (Appl. Math. Comp.), 217 (2010), 3816-3824.
9. Shakhno S.M., Convergence of combined Newton-Secant method and uniqueness of the solution of nonlinear equations, Scientific Journal of Ternopil National Technical University, 1 (2013), 243-252. (in Ukrainian)
10. Shakhno S.M., Convergence of the two-step combined method and uniqueness of the solution of nonlinear operator equations, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 261 (2014), 378-386.
11. Shakhno S.M., On the Secant method under the generalized Lipschitz conditions for the divided difference operator, Proc. Appl. Math. Mech., 1 (2007), 2060083-2060084.
12. Shakhno S.M., Secant method under the generalized Lipschitz conditions for the first-order divided differences, Matem. Visnyk NTSh., 4 (2007), 296-303. (in Ukrainian)
13. Shakhno S.M., Gnatyshyn O.P., On an iterative algorithm of order 1.839... for solving the nonlinear least squares problems, AMC (Appl. Math. Comp.), 161 (2005), 253-264.
14. Shakhno S.M., Mel’nyk I.V., Yarmola H.P., Convergence analysis of combined method for solving nonlinear equations, J. Math. Sci., 212 (2016), 16–26.
15. Ulm S., On generalized divided differences, Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR. Physics. Mathematics, 16 (1967), 13–26. (in Russian)
16. Wang X., Convergence of Newton’s method and uniquness of the solution of equations in Banach space, IMA J. Numer. Anal., 20 (2000) 123–134.
17. Wang X., Li C., Convergence of Newton’s method and uniquness of the solution of equations in Banach space II, Acta Mathematica Sinica, English Series, 19 (2003), 405–412.
18. Zabrejko P.P., Nguen D.F., The majorant method in the theory of Newton-Kantorovich approximations and the Ptak error estimates, Numer. Funct. Anal. Optim., 9 (1987), 671–686.
|Full text of paper|
|Table of content of issue|