Review of the book by Roman Duda, Pearls from a lost city. The Lvov school of mathematics
Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden
This review is an extended version of my two short reviews of Duda's book that were published in MathSciNet and Mathematical Intelligencer. Here it is written about the Lvov School of Mathematics in greater detail, which I could not do in the short reviews. There are facts described in the book as well as some information the books lacks as, for instance, the information about the planned print in Mathematical Monographs of the second volume of Banach's book and also books by Mazur, Schauder and Tarski.
Lvov School of Mathematics; functional analysis; Banach spaces
1. A. Allen, The fantastic laboratory of Dr. Weigl. How two brave scientists battled typhus and sabotaged the Nazis, Norton, New York, 2014.
2. K. Ciesielski, On Stefan Banach and some of his results, Banach J. Math. Anal., 1 (2007), ¹1, 1-10.
3. K. Ciesielski, Z. Pogoda, On mathematics in Krakow through the centuries, Eur. Math. Soc. Newsl., 86 (2012), 19-24.
4. K. Ciesielski, M. S. Moslehian, Some remarks on the history of functional analysis, Ann. Funct. Anal., 1 (2010), ¹1, 1-12.
5. R. Duda, The Lvov School of Mathematics, University of Wroc law Publisher, Wroc law, 2017. (in Polish)
6. R. Duda, The Lvov School of Mathematics, Eur. Math. Soc. Newsl., 78 (2010), 40-50.
7. R. Duda, Mathematicians of XIX and XX century associated with Poland, University of Wroc law Publisher, Wroc law, 2012. (in Polish)
8. R. Duda, The Lvov School of Mathematics, 2nd Edition, University of Wroc law Publisher, Wroc law, 2014. (in Polish)
9. E. Jakimowicz, A. Miranowicz (eds.), Stefan Banach: Remarkable Life, Brilliant Mathematics, Biographical materials. 3rd ed., GdaLnsk Univ. Press, GdaLnsk, 2011, and Amer. Math. Society, Providence, 2011.
10. G. Kothe, Stanislaw Mazurs contributions to functional analysis, Math. Ann., 277 (1987), ¹3, 489-528. MR0891589 (88i:01112)
11. L. Maligranda, Stefan Banach, in: The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, editors T. Gowers, J. Barrow-Green, I. Leader, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2008, 809-811.
12. L. Maligranda, Eustachy Z.ylinski (1889.1954), Antiq. Math., 3 (2009), 171-211. (in Polish)
13. L. Maligranda, Jozef Schreier (1908.1943). Biography, Wiad. Mat., 49 (2013), ¹2, 47-60. (in Polish)
14. L. Maligranda, The scientific activity of Jozef Schreier, Wiad. Mat., 50 (2014), ¹1, 45-68. (in Polish)
15. L. Maligranda, Meir (Maks) Eidelheit (1910-1943), Wiad. Mat., 51 (2015), ¹1, 31-59. (in Polish)
16. L. Maligranda, Review of the book R. Duda, Pearls from a lost city. The Lvov school of mathematics, History of Mathematics 40 AMS, Providence, RI, 2014h, MR32227799, 5 p.
17. L. Maligranda, Review of the book R. Duda, Pearls from a lost city. The Lvov school of mathematics, History of Mathematics 40 AMS, Providence, RI, 2014h, Mathematical Intelligencer, 39 (2017), ¹1, 74-76.
18. L. Maligranda, V.V. Mykhaylyuk, A. Plichko, On a problem of Eidelheit from The Scottish Book concerning absolutely continuous functions, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 375 (2011), ¹2, 401-411.
19. L. Maligranda, J.G. Prytu la, The hearings of Stefan Banach from 1944, Wiad. Mat., 48 (2012), ¹1, 51-72. (in Polish)
20. L. Maligranda, J.G. Prytu la, Lvovian scientists mentioned in Banachs hearings from 1944, Wiad. Mat., 49 (2013), ¹1, 29-66. (in Polish)
21. R.D. Mauldin, The Scottish Book: Mathematics from the Scottish Cafe, Birkhauser, Boston, 1981.
22. R.D. Mauldin, The Scottish Book. Mathematics from the Scottish Cafe, with Selected Problems from the New Scottish Book, 2nd updated and enlarged edition, Birkhauser, 2015.
23. L. Narici, E. Beckenstein, The Hahn-Banach theorem: the life and times, Topology Appl., 77 (1997), ¹2, 193-211. 24. M.I. Ostrovskii, A.M. Plichko, On the Ukrainian translation of Theorie des operations lineaires and Mazurs updates of the remarks section, Mat. Stud., 32 (2009), ¹1, 96-111.
25. A. Pe lczynski, Structural theory of Banach spaces and its interplay with analysis and probability, in: Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, V.1, 2 (Warsaw, 1983), PWN, Warsaw 1984, 237-269.
26. A. Pe lczynski, Cz. Bessaga, Some aspects of the present theory of Banach spaces, in Stefan Banach, Oeuvres, V.2, PWN, Warszawa, 1979, 223-304.
27. A. Pietsch, History of Banach spaces and linear operators, Birkauser, Boston, 2007.
28. A.M. Plichko, Ya.G. Prytula, The 60th anniversary of the publication of the Ukrainian translation of S. Banachs book, Mat. Stud., 30 (2008), ¹1, 107-112. (in Ukrainian)
29. J. Prytu la, Doctorates in mathematics and logic from the Jan Kazimierz University in Lwow during the years 1920.1938, in: History of Polish Mathematics, Inst. Mat. Uniw. Wroc., Wroc law, 2012, 137-161; Reprint Antiq. Math., 4 (2010), 137-161.
30. M. Przenios lo, Polish Mathematicians in the Interwar Period. A Historical Study, University of Humanities and Sciences of Jan Kochanowski Publisher, Kielce, 2011. (in Polish)
31. S. Rolewicz, Metric linear spaces, 2nd enlarged edition, PWN.Polish Scientific Publishers, Warszawa, 1984.
32. W. Szybalski, The genius of Rudolf Stefan Weigl (1883.1957), a Lvovian microbe hunter and and breeder . in memoriam, In: International Weigl Conference (11.14 Sept. 2003) at http://www.lwow.home.pl/Weigl/in-memoriam.html.
33. J.D. Tamarkin, Banach on linear operations, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc., 40 (1934), ¹1, 13-16.
|Full text of paper|
|Table of content of issue|